Mist Coat Roller Arm

Check out the state of my arm, it looks like I’m turning into an abominable snowman. Fortunately, this was not the case. On this particular job, I have been helping a builder, whose name is Geoff, to modernise the previously rather ugly, concrete ceilings in a flat in Clifton.

I’ve never done anything like this before, and so found the process intersting. It’s fairly straight forward really;

Evenly spaced wooden battens are screwed to the ceiling into predrilled holes with rawl plugs in them. Then plasterboards are screwed to wooden battens. To hold the 2.4m by 1.2m boards in place while we attached them properly, we made 2 T shaped frames from some extra wooden battens that reached to the ceiling. After as many whole boards as possible were put up, we measured and cut the rest to fit the spaces left over. Once this was done in each room, and remembering to cut a hole in the plasterboard for the lights to be reconnected by an electrician, a webbed tape called scrim was stuck over all the places where the plasterboard met plasterboard and over any points there were small gaps in between the wall.

Geoff then plastered all the ceilings, which he does a fantastic job of! How he does it, I don’t know, but they end up shiney and blemish free and painting them is a breeze. The mist coat is emulsion paint mixed with water, (this is the reason so much liquid sprays of the roller!) I think the idea being that the fresh plaster and plasterboard soak up the watery mix and this helps to achieve a better finish when the next coat of emulsion goes on.

Anyway, after that we redecorated the whole of the flat, and are just going to finish off glossing the woodwork tomorrow. It’s going to look lovely.

Tula’s Flames

Tula and I had great time today spray painting this yellow army onto the red wall in her bedroom.

We had designed the idea ages ago but we’ve only just got the respirators we need to spray indoors. I say we, Tula did the designing, I just assisted the artistic process. 

Tula Iis very pleased with the result and so she should be, and very importantly, I’m very pleased to be able to say that the filters in the gas masks did an excellent job of filtering out the nasty propelant gases we would otherwise be breathing in. A flaming success and headache free.

Ladybird Lampshade.

It had got to that point when our bathroom ceiling needed a lick of paint, so while I was at it I jazzed up the previously cream and rather dusty lampshade.

I sprayed it blue, cut a lady bird stencil and sprayed that on and then added a bit of greenery with some acrylic paint and a brush. Maybe I’ll add a few flowers too.

I wonder what else I can rejuvenate around the house?

Ashley Down Primary School Wall; Painting Complete.

image

image

I’ve just finished painting this long picture. It’s so long it took 2 panoramic photos on my phone to get it all in. It’s been a big old job, with a massive learning curve, but I’m really pleased to have had the opportunity.

Interdependence

image

This picture, painted at Ashley Down Primary School, represents the ability to stand alone when necessary. For me a musician rocking it with the help of a looper clearly sums up this personal quality.

Unicorn and Tortoise. 1 day in.

image

Here’s how these 2 characters are looking at the end of a days painting. I’m looking forward to getting back to it tomorrow. The unicorn I used the pencil drawing I posted last post as reference and the tortoise I painted from a little plasticine model I made. This allowed me to adjust the angle  to fit onto the table in the picture. I hope I’ve got it right. Sometimes it’s difficult to tell until leaving it alone for a while and then returning and looking again with fresh eyes.