I chose to use the company Super Skills who provide training and assessment in many areas of the constitution industry.
The assessor sent me a list of information that I would need to demonstrate a good knowledge about and number of 1st and 2nd fix carpentry tasks that I would need to complete. These included: hanging doors, installing door frames, architraves and skirting boards, putting in floor joists, laying floor boards and building stud walls.
On top of this I needed to provide photographic evidence of appropriate use of various power tools including: circular saw, router, planer, chop saw and drills.
When I had collected all of the evidence needed, the assessor came to meet me on site to meet me In the workplace and carried out a 3 hour interview. He went away with the portfolio I had prepared for him and then got back to me, to let me know I had provided him with everything he needed to award me with an NVQ2.
I recently took apart and rebuilt an traditional, old pine door. I have been told it was left for too long in a stripping vat and this caused the wood to shrink and crack and the joints to come loose leaving the door sagging on its hinges and dragging on the ground as it attempted to swing.
It was a fairly fiddley process that took about 12 hours. All the tenons had to be reconstructed, for which I used various pieces of hardwood. I also filled some of the major cracks with slivers of wood, and for the minor ones I made up a paste from, Lakeland Paint’s natural wood filler and their wood glue, also some fine sawdust and coloured acrylic paint to blend it in with the rest of the door.
Anyway, once it had been cleaned up, glued (also from Lakeland Paint) and clamped and left to set, it came out as a sturdy door with character, and hung again beautifully.
Mr Brown’s Pig is the performance name of Chris Brown, a committed storyteller, puppeteer and musician. He has been an inspiration to me for many years now, and I was delighted when he asked me to remake the framework and playboard of his puppet stage.
The dimensions and hinged folding design were to remain the same so that he could continue to use it in the same manner as the previous one, but he wanted it to be constructed sturdily enough to last the next twenty years. As he transports it by strapping it to the roof rack of his car, it is clearly subjected to a fair amount of wear and tear, and this durability requirement needed suitable consideration.
It was my opinion that the original stage had become rickety because the wooden frame had only been butt jointed and screwed together, and there was a lack of sufficient bracing. Also, I noticed that the hinges that allowed it to fold up were not particularly robust.
The answer was straight forward; cut decent sized mitred braces to support every right angle join, and to cut a shallow mortice and tenon for every joint, before gluing and screwing them from the reverse side into place.
I sourced some lovely brass hinges, which although were slightly too wide, were easy enough to trim to size with an angle grinder.
The playboard on the original stage was made from laminated MDF which unsurprisingly was looking pretty tatty. I chose to use a piece of locally grown hemlock. I let it sit in my workshop for a month or so and then cut it to size, planed it smooth and rounded the edges with a router. We wanted to darken it as much as possible so it’s finished with a dark oak coloured wax.
The result is a robust frame and shiny playboard that should stand the test of time, and allow Mr Brown’s Pig to continue performing his excellent puppet shows for many years to come.