It’s been a couple of weeks since my last post and Zeus is now fully functional and is being used in performance. There are a number of stages in the production of the puppet to document so I will have to do it in a few goes. This post will explain how I finished off his right hand. My left hand is the puppets left hand and my right hand operates his mouth and so as I am the only puppeteer in this instance his right hand needs to be made. As I described in a previous post I made a mould from my hand and then cast it in latex. This comes out of the mould hollow so to give it some structure I put a wire frame inside the fingers. I then using scissors clipped a hand shape from foam to sit inside the latex cast and glued it into place. I painted the foam with latex and acrylic paint and when it was dry attached it using PVA mixed with sawdust to a forearm carved from polystyrene.
It’s a bit of a crude way to make a hand but it doesn’t matter because in the end it’s been permanently attached to Zeus’s thunderbolt hurler.